Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Miles and Miles of Nowhere


Well, my friends, it's been a few days since I sat down to blog and I'm sorry about that. In addition to taking in the sites on this trip, taking pictures and trying to write about it, I am also starting an online college program that began yesterday. Now I'm trying to juggle hundreds of pages of reading and assignments as well. Let's take a moment to catch up on the past few days, shall we?

Saturday was a "resting up day" in Denver. The weather was bad so we went to a mall and did some wandering and souvenir buying. We also went into a store called Hobby Lobby, which is like Michaels or JoAnns on steroids. We must have spent well over an hour going up and down the aisles but only bought a couple of things to decorate Sheldon's new classroom. We hit up a place called The Bagel Deli to get some take-out for dinner. It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives so we were expecting something fabulous but my matzo balls are WAAAY better. However, the owner couldn't have been nicer. She plied us with free bagels and brownies and was a real kick.

We left Denver early Sunday morning for the Boulder Jewish Festival. We had seen this festival on the internet many months ago and it was the reason we planned our trip to this part of the country. We couldn't have had a better time. Boulder is a lovely college town with some of the friendliest people we met on our trip. It has a funky atmosphere and reminded me a bit of Berkeley or Santa Cruz. There is a long pedestrian shopping mall which is where all the booths were set up for the fair. We walked up and down and admired the jewelry and other items for sale and even ran into someone I once knew in San Francisco when I was growing up! The stores were incredible as well. There was an upscale artist's cooperative that had some of the most beautiful pieces I had ever seen. Sheldon and I decided we could have easily spent $5000 there (we kept our wallets closed, however). There was also a kitchen store that must have had ever gadget known to humankind and thousands of cookbooks as well. I asked them if they would be willing to lock me in overnight but, alas, it wasn't going to happen. After a couple of hours of strolling, window shopping and listening to music, we stopped in for a quick crepe at a French cafe before leaving Colorado for Wyoming.

Our first night in Wyoming was spent in Cheyenne, the state capitol. I thought the city was a lot of fun. We didn't do much touring but we saw the state capitol which was beautiful. Do you remember the decorated cow statues that were placed all around Chicago a number of years ago? In Santa Rosa, California, they also did Charlie Browns (Charles Shultz was from there) and we had fun looking for all of them around the city. A few years ago, Cheyenne did this with eight foot tall cowboy boots. The project was called "These Boots Are Made For Talking" and each one depicted some part of life in Wyoming. We went to the train depot and got a map of the boots and traveled around town, taking pictures of them. It was so much fun to see how the different artists depicted the theme. Be sure to check our Facebook page for pictures of some of the boots. Our final stop in Cheyenne was to the best needlework store I had ever visited. It must have had well over 1000 patterns and kits. The woman working in the store was a North Carolina transplant and told me how much she loved life in Cheyenne. It seemed like a nice place to live.

After leaving Cheyenne, it was a short drive to Laramie (where we only drove through) and then hours and miles of absolutely nothing...and when I say nothing, I really mean nothing. Now I'm a city girl at heart. Just give me my Starbucks and I'll be happy. Not only didn't I get my coffee, there wasn't even a diner, a fast food place, zip, nada, zilch in site. The terrain was pretty flat with little to break the monotony. We didn't reach our destination, a place called Little America, for many hours. By the time I got there, I just wanted to eat and go to sleep.

Little America is just a large truck stop and hotel on the side of the road, about 20 minutes past Green River. It is cute and the rooms are quaint with lovely furnishings and a huge flat-screen tv on the wall. We had a good dinner in their coffee shop and went to bed. Yesterday, Sheldon did laundry duty while I spent the majority of the day in the room, working on my school assignments. Last night we drove into Green River to have dinner with the mother of our son's fiancee at the Krazy Moose Cafe. Everyone seemed to know everyone else, the food was good and we enjoyed catching up with Connie and her fiance, Vern.

This morning we're leaving early for our drive to Salt Lake City. We'll be there for three days so I'm sure there will be lots to see and do and write about. And there are lots of Starbucks in town so I'll be a happy girl again!

No comments:

Post a Comment